The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» Meetings
by mrsrothbricks Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 am

» 4DBrick monorail fans
by maarek Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:09 am

» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

TLG plans a second MMO?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TLG plans a second MMO?

Post  P_Thorne on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:15 pm

As relayed by The Brothers Brick blog (among others), there's been a press release by developer Funcom (Thu 28 Jun) that TLG plans another MMO, this one based on the CMFs. Nobody in the TBB comments (10 at time of writing) had ideas how this would work. Since I played LEGO Universe (to misquote Londo Mollari, "I was there at the death of the first age of LEGO MMOkind") and I've been searching out any official comment on its shutdown, I do.

LU already featured CMFs from s1 and s2 as NPCs; they'd been co-opted as Faction Vendors in Nexus Tower, with names and quest-chain dialogue. (But no AI; it was impossible to have conversations with NPCs, and their feet were nailed to the floor.) LU has already re-issued selected previous CMFs; this will give them another excuse.

TLG absorbed NetDevil from Gazillion, with all the IP assets of LU. So it already has software, 3d models, music and a story.

Although the official line is that LU didn't attract enough paying players, artist Mike Rayhawk (of BrikWars fame) suspects TLG got cold feet about the possibility of a brand-damaging interaction among the players, i.e., child-predation. --Despite the limited chat lexicon, the larger-than-usual staff of moderators, and the intentional lack of guilds. The fact that TLG is trying again might imply they've evolved a better vision for the game, a more specific audience (LU attempted to fit both kids and experienced gamers, and the results were predictably awkward), and a better interaction metaphor.

I wonder if the success of the Ninjago TV series on CN is related?

Meanwhile, there's "Chrome Build," which is something like LDD with baseplates covering real-world geography (to start with, Australia and NZ); something like LU Player Properties, but more of a technology demo for HTML5 and the Google Chrome browser. (My PC, for one, is too slow to run it adequately.)

2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 305

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top