The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» Meetings
by mrsrothbricks Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 am

» 4DBrick monorail fans
by maarek Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:09 am

» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Philcon 2010 (Nov. 19-21, 2010)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philcon 2010 (Nov. 19-21, 2010)

Post  P_Thorne on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Do you enjoy building science fiction- and fantasy-themed LEGO models, or decorating a generic town to give it that theme? That's spaceships, mecha, apocaLEGO, castles, superheroes, Mindstorms robotics or any combination thereof. Do you like meeting the public? Then consider helping at PHILCON. And by "help" I mean "throw your weight so the 2010 con committee is convinced."

When: November 19-21, 2010
Where: Crowne Plaza Cherry Hill, New Jersey

What: PHILCON is the world's oldest continuously-operating science fiction fan convention, based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It originally focused on written SF (the works and authors), because that's what existed in 1935; but the nature of fandom has evolved and expanded, so the con is now general-interest (or "unfocused") with SF/fantasy/horror (zombies), books/TV/movies, science, art/costuming, gaming, and children's-friendly programming, plus a vendor's room. It is *not* a "media" convention (Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate), comics/pop culture (ComicCon, Wizard World), tabletop or video gaming (GenCon, VGXPO), a horror convention (Fangora), costume-heavy (CostumeCon, Dragon*con), or anime (Zenkaikon).

Philcon is a full-weekend event (three days, two nights, with late-night programming) in a hotel convention center.

In my role as head of the Children's Program, I started adding LEGO-based activities in 2003, and I've repeatedly run a MOC display in the art show -- thereby establishing LEGO bricks as an artistic medium just like pigment, wood, ceramic or fiber. The free build is always a big draw (though usually just for kids, because it's usually located in the kids room, away from the main thoroughfares).

Why LEGO: Philcon has experienced declining membership the past 10 years, in part due to lack of focus and the inability to promote itself as anything specific (most of the people who attend are regulars and understand the nature of the beast), or promptly. I'm currently trying to convince the committee that a larger LEGO presence could (a) draw AFOL attendees (who are used to paying a membership fee instead of being comped), (b) draw the public to a "public expo" portion.

Part (b) works because "SF-themed LEGO train layout built by fans" is easy to describe and take photos of. OTOH, it's easy to draw *too much* of a crowd, as KidsFest and other public expos have experienced; leading to lines, a crush, and failure to manage expectations. If it pulls *some* extra but not a vast crowd, then we might be able to run demonstrations and workshops.

Also, the location (Philadelphia) fills a hole in the current distribution of AFOL events. The time (November) may or may not, depending on when KidsFest #2 is schedule.

Last edited by P_Thorne on Tue May 11, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Appended date to post title to match other posts.)

2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 305

Back to top Go down

T-minus six weeks

Post  P_Thorne on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Philcon 2010 is rapidly approaching. If you'd like to be involved in a convention that's not sponsored by TLG, is less frenetic than a KidsFest, and allows more sustained interaction with children (also teens and adults), join the "Not Just For Kids" department! As department head, people I name to staff get free memberships to the convention and will not, repeat not, be forced to stay in one place for ten hours at a time. Meet authors, artists and scientists! Play games that aren't at all LEGO-related! Go all steampunk!

Fine print: Transport to the hotel venue in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and lodgings if you so choose, are your own responsibility.

Apparently we now needn't concern ourselves over the New York KidsFest (one week before Philcon), and the Hartford edition is two weeks after.

2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Re: Philcon 2010 (Nov. 19-21, 2010)

Post  LEGO Dog on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:06 am

I might be interested. It would be a good chance for DelVaLUG to make an appearance too. I will try to call you later this week if that's ok.

2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

Back to top Go down

Who wants MOCs in the program book?

Post  P_Thorne on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 pm

In 2009 your MOCs had a chance to appear in person at Philcon -- but that's just three days. In 2010, they can have immortality! In ink. By which I mean I'm looking for filler art for the hardcopy program book, and I've been cleared to go with a LEGO theme (which, IMHO, will be much more interesting than the SF clip art we usually get). ("Filler art" is used to bulk out the column-inches when a text piece runs short.)

I'm looking for anything SF/fantasy/castle/horror, but I'm weighting heavily towards steampunk -- our special guest (Jeff Mach) founded the Steampunk Worlds Fair, and I've gone with a 19cen look in the graphic design.

You will, of course, get a photo credit -- of your choice. Name, handle, brief description of the piece, whatever.

Thank you.

2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top