The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» PennLive.com reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

» Wish to Join
by Brickadier General Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:52 pm

» Best place to buy 1x1 tiles?
by Kreativ Snail Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Brickworld 2012 Train Layout

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brickworld 2012 Train Layout

Post  Cale on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 pm

So this is my first draft of PennLUG's train layout for Brickworld 2012.

Since Brickworld is the big US event for train fans I wanted PennLUG's layout to be a showcase for our trains. So one of the most important parts was to have a large railyard on prominent display for showing off our rolling stock. Of course it's not just a place to park trains, but will have many details in it's own right including my new York tower and hopefully Nate's port and a redesigned engine house from me.. I also wanted to try out a large swooping curve this year. It will be a great place to view our trains as they're running around the layout. It will also give us a bit more practical experience in working with this type of curve as we've only done them once before and I would like to see future PennLUG layouts incorporate them more often. Of course there is a lot of open space around the curve that needs filled in. I hoping you guys may have some ideas on how to do that.

The downtown area of our layout is smaller than our Brickworld layout last year. It's still large enough though to be impressive with the condensed nature putting only our best MOCs on display. It will also have our working trolley line again with hopefully all the bugs worked out.

The whole layout is designed to be placed against a wall to help better fit in with the very tight venue space. It's quite long but narrow and intended to be placed against a wall. Since we don't have room for any tables in the center of the layout I thought we could use some of the back portion of the layout for general use, rebuilding trains, etc. This portion will be to far from the public viewing area to be good for MOCs any way so why not repurpose it.

As a whole I tried to make this layout more manageable for the small group we'll have on hand at this event. Last year the large layout size was a bit of a stretch for us. The smaller downtown should help a lot. The rail yard is still the same size as last year but it's usually easy to set up so shouldn't be an issue. A lot of the back portion of the running loop will not be covered by MOCs and the running loop itself is smaller than last year but hopefully still large enough that Nate and I can run some long trains with out them always being in a turn. I'm still a bit leery over the size of this layout though. It's not a small as I thought it would be and I don't want the group feel burdened with setting up and running it instead of enjoying the event. Hopefully the way it's laid out will prove to be easier to mange. If you guys feel it's too large though I willing to go back to the drawing board.

Cale

Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 1789

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top