The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» A new train curve
by afol666 Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:18 am

» LEGO Resale Value
by Brickadier General Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:24 pm

» PennLUG Club Member Information Survey.
by Brickadier General Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:12 pm

» Master Builder position at the new Plymouth Meeting LEGOLAND Discovery Center
by Brickadier General Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:07 pm

» 4DBrick monorail fans
by Kreativ Snail Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 am

» Introductions
by cjedwards Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 pm

» Meetings
by mrsrothbricks Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 am

» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Brickworld 2010 Train Triathlon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brickworld 2010 Train Triathlon

Post  Cale on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm

This hasn't been officially announced yet but I figured I give the train guys a heads up on this. I'm looking at you Nate. Wink

Train Triathlon Locomotive Engineering Challenge

Concept: The Brickworld Railroad company invites all builders to submit their best locomotives for competition and a "contract" will be awarded to the best design. Each design will be evaluated based on A)Power, B)Speed, and C)efficiency just like a real locomotive purchase decision. Note that these are mutually exclusive goals. Using 6 large PF traction motors will increase power but at the expense of efficiency. Using high gearing will increase efficiency but at the expense of speed. Using large drivers will increase speed but at the expense of power. The best design, as in real life, balances these three criteria.

Entry Rules:
- Competition is open to all registered Brickworld attendees.
- Locomotives must be presented for qualification at 10am on Friday June 18th at the Railbricks magazine table.
- Once qualified, all entries will remain on the competition table until all testing is complete at 5pm. During this time models may only be touched with a judge present. Builders will not be allowed to make upgrades/adjustments during this time although reasonable repairs are permitted if something breaks.
- Entries must be recognizable as a steam or diesel powered locomotive model. They will not be judged on prototypical accuracy, scale, detail, snot technique, or artistic merits. However, the judges may disqualify any entry which they deem a non-train. (i.e. submit actual train models and not just a bunch of motors and wheels thrown together designed to win this contest but doesn't look like a real train).
- Entries must be able to navigate standard lego radius curves and turnouts.

Categories:
- There is one category: heavy. If this year's competition is popular we may consider adding additional weight classes next year. Doesn't matter if it is 6wide or 8wide. Tenders are permitted.

Test Criteria:
A) Power (10 points). Measured by drawbar pull in ounces using a special scale with a cable attached to the rear coupler. Since this is the first year and we don't know what the spread will be, the plan is to give the lowest entry a "1", the highest a "10" and scale the other entries between proportionally.
B) Speed (10 points). Measured in avg ft per second pulling a train over three feet on level, straight track. Train will consist of a special weighted car equal to the max drawbar pull for each entry. As with A, will assign lowest entry a "1", the highest a "10" and scale the other entries between proportionally.
C) Efficiency (10 points). Measured in milliampers draw at source. Doesn't matter if you use power functions, 9v, 12, or 4.5v. Will meter the current usage at the battery or track connector and then assign lowest entry a "1", the highest a "10" and scale the other entries between proportionally.
- Each entry will have its three test scores averaged for a final score(A+B+C/3).
- Each entry will be tested once. No adjustments will be allowed after qualification. But learn and come back next year with an improved design!

Awards:
- Not sure yet but we will come up with some sort of trophy at a minimum.

I've been thinking about this since Anthony Sava "Threw Down the Gauntlet". I have a good idea of what steam engine I want to build for this but I need to do some testing on motors and running gear before I make a firm decision.

Cale

Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 1830

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Re: Brickworld 2010 Train Triathlon

Post  Shuppiluliumas on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Man, this inspires me to make some sort of sensible locomotive. What's up with that? Maybe something from the New York Central...

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 446

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Re: Brickworld 2010 Train Triathlon

Post  Cale on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 am

Shuppiluliumas wrote:Man, this inspires me to make some sort of sensible locomotive. What's up with that? Maybe something from the New York Central...

You sensible? That's just crazy. New York Central would be nice as they had some good ones. I haven't seen very many NYC engines in LEGO. As for me I'm thinking Western Maryland "Potomac".

Big, powerful, fast, and good looking too.

Cale

Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 1830

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top