The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» PennLive.com reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

» Wish to Join
by Brickadier General Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:52 pm

» Best place to buy 1x1 tiles?
by Kreativ Snail Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Philcon 2011 (Nov. 18-20, 2011)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philcon 2011 (Nov. 18-20, 2011)

Post  P_Thorne on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 am

What: Philcon 2011
When: November 18-20, 2011
Where: Crowne Plaza Cherry Hill, NJ
URL: www.philcon.org

If anyone would like to assist with Family Programming or an expanded slate of LEGO-based events, and you arrange to do so as listed Staff, you get into the convention for free -- X hours of contribution (where "X "is usually around three but we wouldn't object to more, and "contribution" is generally small groups, for a change of pace from our usual giant-crowd public outreach) and the rest of the time you can interact with authors/artists/scientists, play games, browse stuff to buy, etc.

If, instead, you want to pay for your membership, rates go up in about a week.

(I'm not a department head this year; instead, Family Programming is being run by Becky Robare.)

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 305

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Philcon 2011 (Nov. 18-20, 2011)

Post  P_Thorne on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Since I will not be attending the next meeting (October 1, Allentown) and would, in fact, prefer action before then, here are the essentials of the Philcon 2011 promotional spiel I would've given:

Philcon! Sci fi, fantasy, etc., from books, TV, etc.! Also tabletop games and a few costumers! Authors, artists, scientists, fans and combinations thereof! At a hotel! With free parking! In New Jersey, not so far from Philadelphia!

* Display MOCs in the art show
* Run a packaged game or your variant thereof
* GM a QuikWars or BrikWars session
* Organize a trivia quiz show
* Lead a building technique workshop
* Hang around the Open Build area (and encourage kids to build models instead of just minifigs)

Re: the trivia game, I have built (mostly) an Excel-VBA tool that translates a list of challenges into a Jeopardy-like grid, with integrated timers and scoring, in a single DHTML page. The tool is not quite complete, but if you can compile textual questions/answers (or more complex challenges that involve pictures, groups of pictures, video or sound clips), I can shuffle them to be translated.

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Do the adults come over to check out the LEGO creations, or do they just send their kids over?
I'm thinking about bringing a bunch of space-themed creations to show off. I could fill several tables if I bring everything I have.

-Chris

cjedwards
King of the Action

Male Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  peterlmorris on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I also would like to come. I can probably pretty easily fill two to three tables worth of stuff, depending on how dense you want it.

peterlmorris
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:14 pm

At a con, any activity more complicated than a panel discussion entails balancing competing demands for space, time, staff and security.

The usual arrangement for the past several years has been:
* MOC exhibit amid the Art Show, which is monitored and locked overnight.
* Open Build in one end of the Kids Room, running all weekend; room locked overnight.

It's "usual" because (a) in the Crowne Plaza, Philcon has fewer rooms than program tracks, and (b) as Kids Prog head, I haven't had enough staff to divide and monitor an Open Build located elsewhere. (The MOC exhibit piggybacks on the Art Show's security). The Kids Room is slightly hidden, for security, and given that location the Open Build attracts mostly kids who'd be there anywhere. (Also, it's not handicapped-accessible, which renders it undesirable for standard panel events.) In 2004-05 we were able to put it in the Dealers Room, but only because there was extra space.

However, with more staff, other possibilities arise:

* For 2011, Kids Prog (which has a new head) has been revamped as Family Programming. I might be able to promote LEGO Programming from adjunct to full track status.
* A multi-hour Open Build with a specific time, place and theme in a more public area of the con (move in, then out). (Balticon 2003 ran an informal building contest.)
* A game in the gaming area. (This isn't held in a room, but rather the prefunction area outside the ballrooms.) Would have to coordinate with the Gaming head.

Assuming the MOC exhibit stays in the Art Show, I'll have to coordinate with that department (and with the Dealers room, which adjoins and is separated by panels) for how many tables we can get. Previously I've fit on one or two.

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  peterlmorris on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm

So how do we move forward? Do we need to go ahead and register? I still don't quite get what's involved in volunteering. We just sit and watch some kids build with LEGO for a few hours? That would certainly be worth the 50 dollar registration fee.

peterlmorris
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:53 pm

P_Thorne wrote:... and you arrange to do so as listed Staff, you get into the convention for free ...

Operative word: "arrange." The head of LEGO Programming is me. The head of Family Programming is someone I'm in regular contact with. If you want to commit to be convention Staff, PM me with your full name and contact details (address, phone(s), e-ddress). (This is safer than translating your forum handle and trusting the club address list is current.) You will then be added to the official rolls so that you'll have a badge printed, and will be listed in the program book.

(Philcon divides its personnel into three tiers: Convention committee, Staff, and Volunteers. The first two tiers are expected to put enough hours into the convention, before and during, that they're comped. Volunteers, if they contribute enough at-con, are comped the next year. The comp is the con membership fee; lodgings are up to you. How do cons work? They get the convention space in exchange for a promise to fill a certain room block. They fill the room block by attracting attendees from a sufficient radius, and having enough evening programming, that lodging at the hotel is preferable to commuting.)

Please remember that helping with LEGO programming at Philcon, makes sense if and only if you enjoy SF/F fannish content and want to attend the convention as a perquisite -- just as with most other non-AFOL events we may piggyback on (comic book shows, train shows, etc.).

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  peterlmorris on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Sounds like it'd be better for me to just pay the fifty bucks and see what the convention's like before trying to get comped. It's a small enough fee that I don't mind paying it. Accomodations are not a problem, either, since it's near enough to where I live that I can just drive over every day, though it'd be nice to know what the deal is with parking.

peterlmorris
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:18 pm

(Responding to an earlier sentiment:) Please note that it's a losing proposition to force recruits to (a) help with an activity they don't already enjoy or (b) stay locked-down in one place, unable to enjoy the convention. That's happened too often to me, so I wouldn't inflict the suffering on anyone else. That's why the particular selection of pre-planned activities depends (what, when, how long), in part, on staff preferences. (Other bad ideas are to put guests on four consecutive hours of panels, to schedule anything important at 10:00 am on Saturday, etc. -- you pick up these things, working on a concom.)

peterlmorris wrote:Sounds like it'd be better for me to just pay the fifty bucks and see what the convention's like before trying to get comped.

If you've never been to an SF convention, a fan-run SF convention, or Philcon in particular, that would probably be prudent. Philcon is a long-haul endeavor (year 75!) so staff development also extends over years. I recommend that newbies read its FAQ rather than my re-typing.

peterlmorris wrote:though it'd be nice to know what the deal is with parking.

Parking at the Crowne Plaza Cherry Hill is free, plentiful, ground-level and uncovered -- it's the one big plus for this venue, whereas moving outside Center City Philadelphia and away from easy public transit was a big minus. Here's the Google Maps aerial-photo view of the area.

There's curb access to the prefunction area to the ballroom that houses the Art Show, so installation of large, heavy items is easy (wheeled carts make it easier).

Last edited by P_Thorne on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar, other "bad ideas," more parking adjectives.)

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  peterlmorris on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Phil, I apologize but I will not be able to make it to Philcon this year. I had to go down for my grandfather's funeral this past week, and it's just going to be too much of a strain in addition to Kidsfest. Next year for sure, though.

peterlmorris
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top