The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» PennLive.com reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

» Wish to Join
by Brickadier General Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:52 pm

» Best place to buy 1x1 tiles?
by Kreativ Snail Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

BrickMagic 2010 Was a Huge Success

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BrickMagic 2010 Was a Huge Success

Post  Cale on Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 pm

The fist Brickmagic has come and gone and it was an outstanding event. Word can't express how awesome everything was. The unveiling of the new shuttle set was great. Having LEGO Set Designer Mark Staford (who is one of the nicest and most awesome persons to talk to) in attendance was a real highlight. The event organizers did an excellent job running things and provided plenty of goodies for the AFOLS in attendance from cool event kits to discounts at local restaurants. Seeing animated LEGO films in a theater at the BrickFlix LEGO film festival was awesome.

One of the biggest highlights for me though was our own Train/Town layout. I could not have possibly imagined a scant 1 1/2 years ago that we would have the kind of layout we had at Brickmagic. This was our largest layout yet at 20x21 feet and for the first time featured a pure Power Functions train loop. The first full set up of our Wind Farm project was a big hit with 10 mills spinning and awing the crowds. The Monster Truck Arena came together nicely as well and the potential for both projects going forward is quite good. Our newly built tables worked flawlessly. I could not be any happier as all the cost and hard work to build them was 100% worth it. And though we only had a small section done our new brick built roads and ballasted track look absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see where we take this in the future.

To all the PennLUG Members who made our layout possible I can't thank you enough. From those who provided MOCs, roads and baseplates , to those who helped set up and tear down, to those who maned the layout and talked to the crowds. Even though not all of us could be there many PennLUG members stepped up to make this possible. This to me is why I love this hobby so much. This is one event I'll remember fondly for many years to come.

On a final note to those who helped but could not be there I'm passing along this email from Joe Meno.

"BrickMagic was an incredible success. Not the success I envisioned, but much more! Here are some things to ponder:

95 exhibitors almost completely filled a 10,000 square feet area.

The event had a set launch in the keynote address, hosted by Steve Witt.

BrickMagic also was part of a book tour for Jonathan Bender.

Nathan Sawaya built a new sculpture on site for guests.

A new film festival was started.

And over 8,000 people came to see the displays.

It's astonishing to think that only 6 months ago, this was only an idea. But with your help, young and old, BrickMagic became a memorable event. LEGO provided the Brick, all of you provided the Magic.

Many thanks for coming and being part of BrickMagic. We will be back next year, and you are all invited!

Joe Meno
the happiest AFOL on the planet.
"

I don't have my photos up yet but here are some taken by others.

Brickmagic Flickr Group

Cale Leiphart
also one very happy AFOL.

Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 1782

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Re: BrickMagic 2010 Was a Huge Success

Post  LEGO Dog on Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 am

Evie and I had a great time too. It was a nice weekend filled with LEGO and great friends. We can't wait to do it again. See everyone in a few weeks for the cookout at David's!

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25699490@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon on Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am

Wait- cookout at David's? ... I guess I'd better get more propane....

Please remember to check out the June meeting thread for information!

D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 576

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianb on Thu May 13, 2010 7:42 pm

For a first time AFOL event attendee. WOW! It was awesome! My wife and daughter had a great time as well (- although not all of their time was spent with Lego).

Seeing the display in parts at our regular meeting is one thing, but to see it all put together with all of the special minifig details, it makes a huge impact, and that made everyone that came by point and ooh and aah.. The town section with Cale's trolley street plates, trolley poles, street lamps and the ballast on the track added the extra detail that brought the town to life.

The most frequently asked question that I can remember was "Is this a kit from Lego?" More often than not, the answer was no, or it was and we made it bigger and better...adding a floor or two or four... It made me proud to be part of the PennLUG display.

Brian

Brianb
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 426

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46915173@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG on Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 pm

If you werent before, your hooked now brain. Like Hannible used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together"

PennLUG
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 518

http://pennlug.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top