The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)
by afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

» Friends and Family 20% off for The Lego Store coupon for this weekend---anyone want it?
by bas157 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 pm

» Sign me up.
by Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

» Another new member
by MikeKn Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

» Introductions
by Ben-Laura Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

» buWizz remote control
by maarek Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

» Bricklink sellers? Profitable?
by MikeKn Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 am

» eMail - Survey
by maarek Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 am

» LDraw
by Brick_Dad Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

» MOCs for sale
by Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

» Lego Thunder Road game. ** Joel and Sam **
by classicplasticbricks Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 pm

» Philly Brick Fest 2016 Photos.
by Cale Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

» Ready to join!
by Brianb Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm

» wanna play?
by afol666 Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 pm

» New Member request
by maarek Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

by ruxtpin Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:23 pm

» MAKE Extra $ WEDNESDAY MARCH 9th while playing with LEGOS!! Blue Bell PA (outside Philadelphia)
by whataslacker Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

» PennLive.com reporter looking to get in touch with local builders
by Kreativ Snail Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

» Wish to Join
by Brickadier General Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:52 pm

» Best place to buy 1x1 tiles?
by Kreativ Snail Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Speed building games for kids -- A third party seeks advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speed building games for kids -- A third party seeks advice

Post  P_Thorne on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:35 pm

On Friday 6 Feb I was contacted by a man from Brooklyn (I'd rather not post his name and e-ddress here, obviously; email or PM me) seeking my advice on organizing a LEGO-based game for kids. Since my primary experience is with QuikWars, I said I'd tap PennLUG's expertise.

My name is REDACTED, I am from Brooklyn, NY and I am trying to put together a benefit for my son's school for autistic children that hasn't been done to death; it occurred to me that a Lego Speed Building competition might be fun and unusual - perhaps two or three teams pitted against each other? Also I was thinking that rather than building a pre-set model, the teams would be presented with a challenging but not impossible surprise figure they have to build from a pile of sorted Lego blocks, using only the standard shapes.

Is this feasible? If so, do you know anyone in the New York City area who would like to participate? Open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance...

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 305

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Speed building games for kids -- A third party seeks advice

Post  Brickadier General on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:16 pm

You may want to talk to KC, if she doesn't chime in. Smile I think she did stuff at BrickFair with something called "constructionary," but I can't exactly remember what that entails.

One enjoyable game might be a speed "build in a bag" contest. In the smaller impulse sets, all of the parts are usually in one bag, so it is possible to make the model without opening it. Of course, I can see where some would get easily frustrated. Plus, you would have to buy the sets. Still, it is an idea.

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 307

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:40 pm

P_Thorne wrote:
...I was thinking that rather than building a pre-set model, the teams would be presented with a challenging but not impossible surprise figure they have to build from a pile of sorted Lego blocks, using only the standard shapes....

This is pretty much the premise behind the Lego master builder tryouts. It's certainly feasible, but maybe keep it open to promote fun ("build a model of a US President" instead of "build the best Abe Lincoln"). Constructionary could be a good option as well.

D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 578

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

The most obvious game rules would be to assemble a model from a picture and fixed set of bricks -- just like a jigsaw puzzle. Easiest would be to buy N copies of a small set; cheaper would be to design a custom model using bulk bricks from one or more tubs. Depending on the complexity of the model (one layer), a single picture might do; otherwise more. A sample model could be made and photographed; or it could be designed in LDD and images taken from several angles. You'd definitely want to give each contestant their own picture.

If the model is complex enough to need step-by-step instructions, then LDD would be easier to use than LDraw. (Right? I haven't used LDD recently.)

To economize on a tub of bricks, the same topology could be made in color variations -- but that could throw some kids into fits. "His model really isn't the same as mine!"

The specifics depend on the capabilities of the autistic kids.

P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 305

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top